The average age of self-harm onset is 12 years old, meaning that distinguishing the warning signs of self-harm and puberty can be very difficult. There are however, many early warning signs that you can look out for:
- You may notice that they become more secretive during their evenings or at night time
- Changes in behaviour that may include mood swings or excessive anger
- Changes in appearance including long sleeve shirts in the summer months
- You may notice that they could be getting into more trouble at school, not be present in classes or have unusually low grades
- You may notice that they could become a lot more withdrawn and isolated
If you are currently worried about someone you know, you can fill in the form below and a member of our team will get back to you within 48 hours.